Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

DC-in board replaced, but iBook stops charging after 7-9% increments

This is a G4 1.2 iBook running 10.5.8. I've tried the PRAM and PMU procedures repeatedly without impact. Here are my battery specifics before I describe the problem:

 

Battery Information:

 

  Charge Information:

  Charge remaining (mAh):    3125

  Charging:    Yes

  Full charge capacity (mAh):    4267

  Health Information:

  Cycle count:    3072

  Condition:    Good

  Battery Installed:    Yes

  Amperage (mA):    1433

  Voltage (mV):    12243

 

I'm using a replacement battery and adaptor but until a few months ago everything was normal until the battery stopped charging after a maximum of 9% addition. In other words, I could go from 12 to 21% then charging stopped even if the adaptor is still plugged in. If I remove the battery and put it back after waiting 15 seconds or more, charging restores and I'm good for another 7-9%. Repeat procedure, toward 100% or close enough. The iBook worked fine on battery power other than the countdown strangely stalling at 5% remaining, where it will sit for an extraordinarily long time before showing the Low Battery warning and then quickly konking out.

 

Since the iBook is no longer our primary computer I let the situation exist until it got noticeably worse. Sometimes I'd have to take out and replace the battery several times before charging resumed toward another 7-9%. Finally charging stopped -- period -- with the battery drained completely.

The iBook would sporadically recgnize the adaptor. I'd be running fine then the computer would quit in a flash, sometimes going to sleep while typically requiring a restart. Only if I twisted and moved the adaptor plug would the iBook eventually ackowledge the cable and allow the startup procedure, often quitting in midstream.

 

Last week I purchased a new adaptor and sent away for a replacement (used) DC-in board. The adaptor was an improvement, recognized by the iBook. But I still couldn't charge the battery. This afternoon I replaced the DC-in board. For a few minutes it appeared everything was wonderful until charging stopped at exactly 9%. So I'm back to familiar ground, no different than a few weeks ago with the original DC-in board. I've amused myself by taking out the battery and gaining another 7-9%, now up to 77% as I type this.

 

Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience? Obviously the DC-in board was an issue since my situation changed markedly today when it was replaced. But perhaps it's not the sole problem. I guess it's possible the used DC-in board that I purchased cheap on eBay was in similar declining condition to my original one, despite "Tests OK," and now I'm stuck in the same predicament as the past few months.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment