Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Battery dies without warning

Hello I realize there are other threads about this on this site but none of them seem to pertain to my particular problem. Today I was using my macbook doing nothing too intensive (internet browsing between two tabs), and my computer shut down without warning. My first instinct was to turn it back on, which I did. The power came back on for about 10 seconds, just long enough to show the white screen, and shut off again. I then plugged in the ac adaptor in and the computer turned on fine. Upon logging in the battery status indicator at the top right said my battery was at 8%. Other times when my battery was at 10% I got the standard message telling me to connect to AC power, and it always runs down to 1% before putting itself to sleep. When I would plug in the charger the computer would wake uo from sleep without any work lost, but this time was completely different. As I said, with absolutely no warning, the computer turned OFF.

 

I have recently reset the SMC and PRAM to help combat bizarre fan speeds and it seems to have worked. I don't know enough about macs to know if this had anything to due with the warning not appearing.

 

Under System Proflier > Power, this is the data:

 

Battery Information:

 

  Model Information:

  Serial Number:    SMP-bq20z451-3ad7-3155

  Manufacturer:    SMP

  Device name:    bq20z451

  Pack Lot Code:    0000

  PCB Lot Code:    0000

  Firmware Version:    0003

  Hardware Revision:    0002

  Cell Revision:    0100

  Charge Information:

  Charge remaining (mAh):    1339

  Fully charged:    No

  Charging:    Yes

  Full charge capacity (mAh):    4248

  Health Information:

  Cycle count:    317

  Condition:    Good

  Battery Installed:    Yes

  Amperage (mA):    3194

  Voltage (mV):    12025

 

I have had this computer for 3 1/2 years (July 2009) and it is not currently under any type of warranty. Is there anything I can do about this or should I just fork over the cash to take it into an Apple Store?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment