Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

After SMC 1.8 Update, mid-2011 Air won't sleep, battery drains constantly

TL;DR: Installed SMC 1.8, computer won't sleep. Do I have to do a full system wipe / restore?

 

I've seen a few other threads noting issues after the SMC 1.8 update (like https://discussions.apple.com/message/21130929 ) but nothing matches my exact symptoms so I'll post a new one.

 

For the past week, it seems that my mid-2011 13" 128GB MBA won't go to sleep, either by closing the lid or Apple->Sleep from the menu. The bottom of the case is perpetually warm and the battery drains from full to dead in ~6 hours. I had installed a couple of pieces of software around the time that I did the SMC 1.8 update so I'm not sure exactly what the culprit is but I'll go on a limb and say the SMC update is the likeliest suspect.

 

I have tried the following steps to no avail:

  • shutting off Wifi and Bluetooth (and disabling "Wake on" features)
  • rebooting
  • powering down and resetting the SMC
  • cursing in several languages

 

When I run "pmset -g assertions" this is the summary output:

2/14/13 2:28:35 PM EST  

Assertion status system-wide:

   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0

   PreventSystemSleep             0

   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0

   ExternalMedia                  0

   UserIsActive                   0

   ApplePushServiceTask           0

   BackgroundTask                 0

 

So as best I can understand the issue, there's no user-level software keeping my system running and thus I'm blaming SMC. I'm at a loss for next steps... I've never tried the genuis bar but I'm skeptical they can add much, so am I down to doing a system restore or is there something else to pursue first?

 

Tyler


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment