Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

magsafe adapter not lighting up

Hi,

 

I've got a MBP Unibody from, perhaps, 2009.  It might be this model:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2 .66-aluminum-15-early-2009-unibody-specs.html

 

OS is 10.6.something.

 

I was using it yesterday without the magsafe adapter, on my lap, when I adjusted the screen a bit and then it went dark.  This has happened maybe twice in the past and I've been able to get it going again after letting it rest a few minutes, then plugging it back in with the magsafe adapter, and pressing on the power button.  So last night I did the same thing. 

 

It restarted fine but I noticed that the light on the adapter was not lit up properly - a faint green color did show up.  And of course the battery was not charging. 

 

I tried another adapter, no go.

 

I used both adapters on another macbook and both worked fine, bright green.  So I'm guessing it's not actually the adapter's fault.

 

I did a few things to try and remedy this:

 

a) I powered down and then powered up again.

 

b) reset the SMC

 

c) reset the PRAM

 

d) ran applejack (just for kicks)

 

Then I clicked at the top right on the battery icon to see this message: "Service Battery".

 

My MBP is no longer covered by Applecare and so I took out the battery just to see if I could power up the Mac to get some of my files before taking to a mac surgeon.  It won't power up without the battery at all.  I've got about 25% life left in the battery.  Does anyone thing that this is just a matter of getting a new battery??

 

Thanking you in advance........


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment