Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Why is my fan running continuously?

Hello,

 

I recently took my macbook pro to the Apple Authorized Servicer to get it worked on. Apparently the flex cable for the hard drive was bad, which caused my computer to not boot up when powered on. That issue was resolved, but literally 24 hours after getting my laptop back, it started having other problems.

 

My computer had many syptoms that were listed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Mostly these were the symptoms:

  • The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.
  • The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
  • Battery indicator lights, if present, appear to behave incorrectly (on portables that use non-removable batteries).
  • The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity.
  • The display would flicker while trying to boot up, then the whole system would turn off.

 

For a while, my computer would not even turn on at all. Now my computer seems to startup properly everytime. The battery indicator lights still do not function, but I can use the computer and all of my data is still as it was.

The main issue that still persists is that the fan runs at high speed all the time. My CPU usage is low, I checked in activities monitor, and nothing was out of the ordinary. I am not running any high CPU applications. And according to iStat, all the temperatures within my computer are running under 100 degrees.

 

I'm pretty sure I successfully reset the SMC, as when I held down the Shift-Control-Option keys with the power button, the LED on my magsafe changed colors, as noted it would in the instructions.

 

I would appreciate any and all help, as I am in Africa and another trip to the local Apple Authorized Servicer would be quite a hassle.

Thanks!


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment