Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

15" MacBook Pro runs hot, fan is loud, and incredibly low battery life


My 15" MBP was bought in March or April (can't remember) from Singapore Apple Store. Here are the stats:



MacBook Pro 15-Inch, Late 2011


Memory 8 GB 12222 MHz DDR3


Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)



Also I'm using about 1/2 of the available 750 GB of storage.



Here's what's up:



1. The fans boot immediately after the computer is turned on and never stop, making everything much too loud...like a plane is taking off or something.


2. The computer is WAY too hot. Right now I'm running Astrill, Chrome, Activity Monitor, and System Utility, and when I put my hands on the thing it feels like my fingers are going to melt.


3. The battery life, even at a full charge, is about an hour overall, which ***** for so, so many reasons.



Here's what I've tried:



1. I took it to the Shanghai Genius Bar, but I think that the language barrier is impeding my ability to really say what's wrong. I backed up, and they wiped the hard drive, re-loaded the OS and put all my old stuff back on the computer. They also deleted SOMETHING from the Preferences part of the library, but I don't know what it was. Everything runs much faster now, but the fan, the heat, and the battery are still having their issues.



2. I've checked the "all processes" CPU usage. There's nothing unusual (as far as I can tell), so I'm at a serious loss as to say why the computer is running so hard. Even with all the processing running as you see below, the fan's still blasting and I've lost 50% battery life in the past 40 minutes.



3. I've tried the fix that requires deleting com.apple.desktop.plist and com.apple.desktop.plist.lockfile. It changed the way the desktop looked and absolutely nothing else.




PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me! I'm a graphic designer and often run the CS6 Suite. (Currently, however, I am NOT running any Adobe programs and I'm still experiencing the problems.) It's really important that I am able to run Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign at once, and it CAN, but with the heat problems I'm having without ANY of the graphics stuff running, it worries me.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment