Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mid-2009 MacBook Pro not waking up

Hey guys,

I'm running OS X 10.8.2 on my 13" mid-2009 MacBook Pro and I've been having a lot of trouble with it lately. When I close it, it goes to sleep (presumably) but when I open it back up it usually shows a blank screen. The little white sleeper light is still flashing slowly like it is when it's asleep. Every time it does this, I have to hold down the power button until it goes off and then power it up again. This is really annoying because I'm in college so I sometimes have to wait for twenty minutes before my computer is up and running, which means twenty minutes of being behind in class. Not fun.

 

Possible hardware issues:

  • WDC drive: Disk Utility says okay
  • 8GB Corsair RAM: memtest says okay
  • battery: "service battery" status, ~750 cycles. The sleep issue persists even when plugged in so I don't think it's a battery dying issue
  • logic board: replaced logic board about 6 months after I got it due to a short in the audio jack
  • general: computer is very hot; fans running but not very high RPM

 

The only modifications I've made to it are put in a new hard drive (1TB Western Digital) and upgraded the RAM recently (to 8GB Corsair "Mac Memory").

 

Here are my hardware specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

      Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

      Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

      Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

      Number of Processors: 1

      Total Number of Cores: 2

      L2 Cache: 3 MB

      Memory: 8 GB

      Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

      Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

      SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

      Serial Number (system): ****

      Hardware UUID: ****

      Sudden Motion Sensor:

          State: Enabled

 

Possible software issues:

  • upgrading from 10.6 to 10.8.2 without doing clean install
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection (required to connect to my school's WiFi)

 

 

I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. This has been happening for about a year now (even before I updated from 10.6), which leads me to think this is a hardware issue. I think one of my RAM slots is a little iffy as well because sometimes it shows 4GB/8GB, sometimes it shows all 8GB. I've ran memtest when my computer recognizes all 8GB and the RAM modules seem fine. My computer also gets very hot sometimes for no real reason (ie. just typing this with only Safari open). The sleep issue has happened almost every time. Last week, I did a "Repair Disk" on my WDC by booting up and holding Command+R. I think I closed my computer after I did that and came back and it worked as it should, so I thought I had fixed this issue. But now it has gone back to not waking up from sleep.

 

 

Sorry for the long post, but any insight anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. I really miss being able to use my lovely MBP to its fullest potential. Thank you!


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment