Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

MacBook Pro Battery dying unexpectedly...?

For Christmas, I ordered a new 13" MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) battery from Amazon. It came with its health displayed at 97% with 2 complete cycles according to iStat Nano. The battery seemed to work fully and functionally at first, until a few days after its initial installation. Since installing the new battery, I've done the following:

Reset PRAM/NVRAM

Reset System Management Controller (SMC)

Calibrated Battery

 

I've also disconnected the battery for a few hours, then reconnected it. This actually seems to fix the issue for up to 3 days (with a few cycles), then "Condition: Replace Now" appears in the battery status bar menu at the top. It then begins to randomly shut down again. I've done everything Apple has suggested and more, in every possible order.

 

I can always tell when the problem will happen if I'm charging my MacBook. First, there will be no (or a very dim green) light when I plug it in to charge. It will actually charge the battery. Once I disconnect it, it's only a matter of time until it dies without warning. Then when I plug it back in and power it on, it will alternate between an orange/red and green indicator. The battery percentage on-screen will alternate between the actual percentage and 0%, all the while saying "Condition: Replace Now". If I disconnect the power adapter when it says 0%, it dies immediately. If it disconnects when it says it's charging, it'll die soon after. I normally resort to disconnecting the battery for a while, reconnecting it, plugging back in the power adapter and resetting the PRAM/NVRAM and the SMC. This seems to be hit-or-miss.

 

The battery can hold a good charge when it works, but when it shuts off unexpectedly, it's so aggrivating.

 

I have no idea what to do at this point and I look to the good people of the internet for answers.

 

Thank you for your time.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment