Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

battery stuck on zero

The oddest thing happened today regarding my 2009-model MacBook Pro battery. I shut down the machine last night with battery power in the 20% range. This morning, I turned on the machine and plugged in the power cord and started to work. By the time I needed to catch my train, the battery was up to 52% charged. At that point, I unplugged the cord, closed the MacBook Pro, hopped on the train, settled in, then opened up the computer again expecting to pick up where I had left off, but the computer was dead. I wasn't in a seat where I could plug in the power, so I hit the manual start button hoping it would reboot, but it remained dead until I arrived at my office where I could plug in the power cord again. I plugged in, hit the restart button and the machine woke up, like it was just on sleep, rather than being totally off. However, now the battery registered 0% and remained stuck there even though the power was plugged in and the little light had turned from green to red, showing the computer was drawing power. So, I formally shut down the computer and restarted after a couple of minutes. This time, the computer started up as usual, but the battery remained stuck on zero percent charged. After about five minutes, the charge level started at 1% and began increasing steadily, as if the battery were completely dead at the start. But, that didn't make sense since it had registered 52% charged when I closed the lid at the train station before I hopped on the train.

 

Anyone have reasonable explanations as to why this might have happened? And more importantly, does this mean my battery is on the way to the graveyard?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment