Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Macbook air i5 vs i7 Software Engineering course

Okay, I realise there are hundereds of threads on which to get, but I STILL cannot make up my mind.

 

I am starting university in september on a Software Engineering course and I am undecided on which to get, the i5 or the i7, and if to me, it is worth the extra cost.


I will be getting the 13", 8GB RAM 256GB SSD.

 

I'm not really sure what the course will require me to do with the Macbook air, but I can assume programming, writing and compiling, Virtual Machines with Windows 8 and Linux, I should also mention that I am taking a reasonably powerful desktop with me that has a AMD Phenom II x6 1100t, if this is too slow for my needs then the desktop is getting an upgrade, so anything requiring a lot of processing power will be done on their.

 

I would like to take my work with me at all times and make sure the Air can manage things like virtual machines with no problem when I'm not near my desktop.

 

The differences in battery life dont really bother me, as it is understandable that if the CPU is under more load and it is performing tasks quicker than the i5, the i7 will run out of battery quicker.

 

I haven't really heard much about the real world differences in temperature and battery life between the i5 and i7.

 

I would like to hear what you guys recommend as results day is next week, I am hoping to order my Macbook Air the next day.

 

Thanks for reading,

 

Luke


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment