Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

MacBook Air 11 inch bricked

Hi,

 

Only 2 weeks after my one-year warranty expired my Macbook Air (2011) gave up on me (this happened last saturday) and I haven't taken Apple Care for this notebook.

It was booted but I wasn't doing anything with it when I suddenly heard a fizzling noise (coming from somewhere around the left-upper corner of the keyboard. About half a second later the screen went black and I can not power it up anymore. There was also a faint smell of "something" melted.

When I push the power-on button the notebook does nothing anymore, no spinning fans, no white led blinking at the front, nothing happening on the screen, (although the MagSafe connector does still light up green when attached). I've tried the reset with "Shift-Option-Control-Power" button and I've held the power-button down for 10 seconds ... but nothing helps.

I'd like to add that it was a very warm day, the warmest we've had this year (a little under 100F, 38C) so the problem may likely be the related to this although I was inside where it was probably a little cooler.

 

Broadly speaking IMO there can only be 3 possible culprits for this malbehaviour :

1)  battery

2)  logic board

3)  IO Board

 

I'm hopeing to narrow this down to 1 with the help of the community, but for that I need a couple of questions answered that are impossible for me to answer without opening the Air (and breaking the Warranty that I don't have since 2 weeks :-).

So first question :

Would I be able to supply power directly to the system if the it was just the battery that was dead or could a dead battery impede this?

Could a broken Logic Board explain a completely bricked notebook? I would expect more life out of the notebook if 'something' on the Logic Board was fried but I don't get any beeps, etc.

And a more general question : could this be caused by a broken IO Board, this seems to be the most logical explanation as a fizzling noise does not seem to point to a Battery but to 'some electronics'.

 

If I can't narrow this down to one single component I'll take it in to a Genius Bar , but I think the bill they'll come up with will be too rich for me and would force me into a non-Apple iLife.

 

kind regards,

Benny


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment